Things to Keep in Mind When Selling Your Home!
Winkler Homes is a locally owned and operated boutique real estate firm based in Lake St. Louis, MO. We specialize in home sales in Lake St. Louis and the surrounding areas. Knowledge, experience, accessibility – these are just a few reasons why we believe Winkler Homes is your only choice when it comes to selling a home in this community.
Why Do I Need a Real Estate Agent?
This is a question I hear from people trying to sell their home every day. Studies show that home sellers who use a real estate agent to represent them generally get a better price than those who sell their home themselves. That is because agents stay up to date on critical processes, and can keep your home sale to the letter of the law.
I can help you get your home sold at the best price possible, in the right time frame, by marketing your home locally and online, and by making myself available to interested buyers whenever they call.
Working with a real estate agent also adds objectivity to the inherently emotional transaction that is selling your home.
Before Your Home Is Listed
It’s important to have your home in good showing condition before buyers start going through it. Here are some steps to take:
– Spot Paint
Touch up interior and exterior paint as needed.
– Update Carpet
Install new carpeting and flooring if it appears worn or dated.
– Curb Appeal
Make sure the front is clean and spruced up – curb appeal will create a favorable first impression.
– Trim and Rake
Trim bushes and plants as needed, and make sure the lawn is kept mowed and trimmed. In autumn, rake the leaves; in winter, keep the snow shoveled.
– Extra Cleaning
Keep the interior clean, uncluttered and odor-free. Eliminate evidence of pets.
– Minimize You to Maximize Them
Minimize personal items such as family photos. You want buyers to see themselves living in the home
– Start Packing
Consider putting excess furniture and belongings in storage. Now’s the time to clean out the garage and basement and sell, give away or throw away items you don’t need any more.
– Find Potential Problems Early
Consider having a pre-listing inspection performed. Buyers will be hiring professional inspectors; here’s your chance to address problems in advance.
– Professional Stager
Consider engaging a professional stager to give your home the right emotional appeal. We include staging free with all of our listings.
During the Listing Period
- When potential buyers visit your home, either find something to do away from your home for a couple hours, or make yourself as inconspicuous as possible.
- Have fresh flowers in the entryway. It makes for a friendly introduction into your home.
- If offers are made that don’t match your hoped-for price, don’t reject them offhand. Pay attention to your agent’s advice
- Consider dropping the price if several months go by with few or no offers, but if you and your agent have priced your home properly from the start, this shouldn’t be necessary.
- Don’t get discouraged. In buyer’s markets, homes can take time to sell.